We humans are social creatures. Our connection to others is not only key to our survival, but can also play a pivotal role in our mental health and wellbeing.
When our relationships with others are humming along well, we tend to feel respected, accepted, valued and understood. On the flip side, when we have ongoing difficulties in our relationships, we can end up feeling depressed, confused, rejected, empty and alone.
It’s human to have some ups and downs in relationships from time to time. If you’ve noticed this is a bit of a pattern for you though, there is a lot our Melbourne-based relationship therapists can do to help you feel more secure and satisfied in your relationships – with family, friends, colleagues and others.
Here are some of the things our relationship therapists can help you with:
- Difficulty experiencing genuine connection with others
- Feeling judged or criticised in relationships
- Fears about rejection or abandonment
- Working through past issues that are getting in the way of your current relationships, such as trauma you’ve experienced, childhood events, past break ups or being cheated on
- Difficulty expressing your needs or opinions in relationships
- Anger, resentment or conflict issues
- Lack of confidence in social situations
- Difficulties with trusting other people
- Trouble finding a partner that feels like a healthy match
- Winding up in relationships where your needs aren’t met or you feel controlled
- Wanting to find a partner, but not knowing where to start, or lacking confidence
We all have particular patterns that seem to repeat themselves in our relationships. Our Melbourne relationship therapists will help you to understand how and why you feel the way you do with others. Most importantly, we will use evidence-based techniques to support you to shift unhelpful patterns and build more satisfying and meaningful relationships.
Looking for information on how we can help couples with their relationships?
Find out more about couples counselling.